Photography Tours, Workshops, Consulting, and Presentations
I lead photo tours and photography workshops, give talks, and provide consulting services and classes both locally and abroad. You’ll find information on my Yellowstone photo tours and overseas tours to Latin America, Africa and more below. Many of my trips focus on smaller groups (unless a lodge or camp requires us to book it out for exclusive use), usually averaging 4-6 guests maximum. If you have questions or would like to schedule a private session, please contact me.
Yellowstone in Winter
"Your knowledge of the park and its birds and animals was of vital importance in putting me in the right places at the right times to photograph the amazing wildlife. My primary reason for attending the tour was to improve my photography skills. I am confident that the numerous pointers and demonstrations you offered will benefit me greatly in the future."
- Steve D.
"Max's photography class is a treat for any photographer. He taught me how to use and understand my first DSLR. I was in the class with more experienced photographers and Max divided his attention among the students equally. He is a patient, knowledgeable and fun teacher."
- Margaret H.
- "Max has a friendly, relaxed teaching manner and has an engaging personality and contagious enthusiasm for wildlife and photography. His many years experience of visiting Yellowstone was invaluable in maximising the photographic potential of each day—from assessing the weather conditions in order to decide which area of the park to visit to anticipating the behaviour of any wildlife encountered. I would heartily recommend Max as a guide." - Phil Y.
- "Your expertise was very helpful and I learned a tremendous amount about photography in the jungle. Lighting, lens choices, camera adjustments, etc. is very difficult in the rainforest and your were a superb teacher. My pictures improved throughout the week. We will certainly look forward to accompanying you on other trips in the future and can recommend you without reservation."- Steve B.
"I found the workshop informative and practical, and Max certainly knows Yellowstone well, including sources of information as to wildlife movement."
- Lance G.
- “Max’s knowledge of Yellowstone, its inhabitants, where specific inhabitants are known to have been spotted and how the park changes over time is second to none. Although I was familiar with basic operations of my photography equipment used in everyday settings, Max was patient with my questions about how to set up my equipment up for wildlife encounters. He is comfortable and gentle about making suggested lighting settings, shutter speed, etc. All of this makes for a very fruitful and fun experience.” - Ryan G.
Schedule a Private Workshop or Tour
At this time I have put local tours on hold. However, I am offering virtual consultation sessions as a (cheaper) alternative to aid clients with learning, research, and educational opportunities. Learn more about booking a consultation.
- Boundary Bay & Reifel Bird Sanctuary: Birds of Prey and Wetland Wildlife
- Discovery Park or Yost Park: Barred Owls and Other Birds
- Mt. Rainier: Incredible Scenery and Some Wildlife
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge: Wetland Birds and Wildlife
- Skagit River: Bald Eagles!
- Skagit Valley: Short-Eared Owls and Other Birds of Prey
- Washington Park Arboretum: Wetland Exploration by Boat
- Woodland Park Zoo/Northwest Trek: Great for Practicing Photography
At this moment, I am no longer offering this course. However, if there’s enough interest, I may put together a new virtual hybrid model, consisting of online presentations and follow-up critiques. If this interests you or your group, do let me know! I am now offering virtual consultation sessions if you’d like to book a less formal informational session.
Learn about nature photography and put the concepts you learn into practice during field trip shoots! This is a good option for beginners just learning about photography, or intermediate photographers looking for an excuse to shoot more.
The course consists of four weeknight classes and three field trips, spread over four weeks in the greater Seattle area. We’ll cover nature photography subjects and techniques, as well as the basics of photography. Topics include:
- Wildlife, landscape and macro photography
- Getting to know your gear: Cameras, lenses and accessories
- Elements of exposure: aperture, shutter speed, ISO
- Patterns, lines and texture
- Post processing
- Ethics and the business side of photography
- …and much more!
I will be happy work with you to put together a personalized Yellowstone itinerary that suits your needs as a photographer. You may either look into adding an extension to one of our existing tour itineraries (great for hitting some of the neighboring areas of the park or simply spending more time in Yellowstone), or planning a private guided itinerary for the duration of your stay in the park.
Popular extensions include geyser and thermal tours, a visit to Grand Teton National Park or simply more time spent photographing wildlife in Yellowstone.
I am happy to work with photo groups on a full private tour itinerary as well.
Personalized International Nature Photo Tours
Plan a personalized photo tour for your family or group. Throughout my travels, I have worked with several of the top tour operators in exotic photo destinations around the globe. With the help of these localized partners, we can plan a customized itinerary to some of the world’s top wildlife destinations. Individuals or groups are welcome, and we can customize a tour to focus on the skills or subjects you wish to target.
I am currently available for custom photo tours to some of the following destinations:
- Brazil: The Amazon and Pantanal
- Chile: Customized puma trips in Chilean Patagonia
- Costa Rica: Extreme Jungle Wildlife
- Ecuadorian Amazon & the Galapagos Islands: The Best of Both Worlds
- Great Bear Rainforest: Land of the Spirit Bear
- South Africa: Land of Leopards
- Tanzania: Ngorongoro Crater, the Serengeti, and more